News brought to you by:
InfoKwik Web Design, Marketing & Hosting Kansas City
Man, 93, Freezes To Death Indoors
A 93-year-old man froze to death inside his Bay City, Mich., home just days after the city limited his flow of electricity for not paying his bills.
The Bay City Times reported on Monday the indoor temperature was below freezing when neighbors discovered Marvin E. Schur's body on Jan. 17.
Schur's body was discovered by neighbor George Pauwels Jr., who said Schur had almost $1,100 in unpaid electric bills. Pauwels told the newspaper he saw cash clipped to those bills on the kitchen table on the day he found Schur's body.
A city utility worker installed a "limiter" device outside his home on Jan. 13.
The device limits power reaching the home and blows out if more than allowed is drained. Power is not restored until the device is reset.
City Manager Robert Belleman said he doesn't know if anyone explained to Schur how to use the device.
Belleman said the utility's policies will be reviewed, but he doesn't believe the city did anything wrong.
"I've said this before and some of my colleagues have said this: Neighbors need to keep an eye on neighbors," Belleman said. "When they think there's something wrong, they should contact the appropriate agency or city department."
Belleman obviously takes no responsibility at all.
InfoKwik KC News is a Professional Member
Custom KC News Search